At my company RUN Studios, we live and breathe visual experiences in the form of videos, motion graphics and 3D animations. All of this media usually ends up on our clients’ web sites, intranets and quite often on big screens at corporate events (and sometimes, on Times Square!).
So it became natural to ask ourselves: How can we make this media more interactive? How about making it mobile too?
We started crafting a vision for a digital signage experience for the retail and hospitality industries, that could be enjoyed not only on desktop PCs, but also on tablets, smartphones and big screen TVs. Furthermore, we wanted to give a choice to users among mouse, keyboard, gestures and touch, as input mechanisms.
To accomplish our goals we needed a capable development partner with a solid background in UX design. Following a careful research, we decided to partner with the Peloton Alliance to turn this idea into reality.
After several months of planning, development and testing, we finally released our first prototype architected around the latest web technologies; namely HTML5 and cloud services. Our media wall application features:
- 3D media carousel functionality (scroll, select, play)
- Standard support for video, graphics, tags and slide show media types
- Support for custom media types (e.g. streaming, twitter feed, web widgets)
- Input via Microsoft Kinect, touch screen and mouse
- HTML5 compatibility (IE10, Safari, Chrome)
- Local or cloud media storage (Amazon, Microsoft Azure)
Here is a short case study video of our app.